Research has proven that the best brain foods are the same ones that also protect your heart and blood vessels. At the top of the list are Omega fatty-acids.
#1 Fatty Fish
Whenever you research healthy food, or “foods to eat for brain body health”, fatty fish is often at the top of the list. Specifically Salmon, Trout and Sardines are some of the most rich in sources of Omega-3 fatty acids.
Your brain uses these omega’s to build important nerve cells, and are also essential for learning and memory. They also have been linked to lower blood levels of beta-amyloid— the protein that forms damaging clumps in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s disease.
Studies show that people who eat fatty fish regularly have a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, dementia, depression and many other common diseases. Omega 3s found in fatty fish have also been found to improve cognitive function, symptoms of depression & ADHD, and recovery from brain trauma. This healthy fat may also play a significant role in enhancing memory, especially as we age.
For brain and heart health, eat at least two servings of [wild caught] fish weekly. There are supplements you can take if you feel that you can’t consume the adequate amount of omega’s, consistently each week (which most of us, especially in the United States, do not). Most Americans are deficient in omega-3s, consuming barely a third of the daily amounts they need for optimum brain and heart health. The best course of action would be to start taking an Omega Supplement daily, and gradually add in to your diet wild caught Salmon, Trout, or Sardines weekly.
Nothing, not even a supplement, can replace the real thing – fresh from the source with all its additional benefits and fullness in nutrient value… but a supplement can help support levels of nutrients the brain & body needs consistently to heal and grow stronger in overall health. When your body receives the proper amount of Omega’s daily, you may start to notice:
- A more positive mood and emotional balance…
- Better concentration and attention…
- Improved cardiovascular health…
- Enhanced recall and retention of memory…
Some of the best Omega 3 supplements I have found in my research are:
- BrainMD Omega-3 Power – sourced from pelagic, short-lived species (anchovies, sardines, and mackerel), the fish oil in this Omega-3 Power undergoes the most advanced purification process in the supplement industry.
- Juice Plus Omega Blend – plant-based omegas sourced from plants & algae.
- MAV Nutrition Fish Oil – Premium Omega 3 – 100% pure sea-harvested pelagic fish oil.
If you found this article helpful, please share with your friends & family! 💚